Kerala Agricultural University is perhaps the first among the Universities in
India to have a research station exclusively for Aromatic and Medicinal
Plants. The station was established on 15-3-1951 as "Lemongrass Breeding
Station" under the Department of Industries of the erstwhile Travancore-Cochin
Government. The centre was brought under the
Department of Agriculture with effect from 1-8-1954 and
was baptized as "Lemongrass Research Station".
The main objective of the centre was to provide adequate
research support for lemongrass cultivation in
the state. Consequent to the formation of Kerala Agricultural University in 1972, the
station became an integral part of the University's research net work.
Diversifying the research emphasis of the centre to cover all other
tropical aromatic and medicinal plants, the station was renamed as Aromatic and
Medicinal Plants Research Station (A.M.P.R.S.) in 1982.
Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India has upgraded the phytochemical laboratory of the station as one of the Regional
Analytical Laboratories for medicinal and aromatic plants in 1994.